When it comes to your home’s electrical system, few elements are as crucial as the electrical switchboard. The switchboard plays a pivotal role in distributing electricity safely throughout your property. Understanding the importance of a proper domestic switchboard installation is paramount for ensuring the safety and well-being of your household.
Why Switchboard Installation Matters
The switchboard in your home distributes power out to the individual power and lighting circuits, ensuring each circuit is correctly protected, and is responsible for protecting your home and family should an electrical fault occur. Your switchboard should contain safety devices such as circuit breakers and residual current devices (RCD’s) that protect against electrical hazards such as overloads, short circuits, and fatal electric shocks.
A proper domestic switchboard installation job can help your home in a myriad of different ways, such as:
It Protects Your Home And Family. One of the primary reasons for installing or upgrading a switchboard is to enhance the safety of your family and home. Older switchboards may contain asbestos and lack modern safety features, leaving your household vulnerable to fatal electrical shocks and fires. By investing in a switchboard upgrade, you can greatly reduce the potential risk of electrical accidents and create a much safer home environment for your family, as well as remove the risk of asbestos contamination from your old switchboard.
Increased Capacity. Older switchboards are often smaller panels, not allowing enough space for each circuit to be individually protected, and over the years as new circuits have been added, they may have been “doubled up” with other circuits, meaning you may have been overloading the circuit protection with two or more circuits per fuse or breaker. A modern switchboard is installed to allow individual circuit protection and at least 20% space is left vacant to allow for future additions. Therefore, an upgrade can improve your home electrical system’s capacity.
Increased Home Value. An upgraded, high-quality switchboard can increase your home’s property value. Even if you aren’t planning to sell anytime soon, if you ever do sell your NZ home in the future, the domestic switchboard installation you invest in now could lead to higher offers from home buyers.
The Switchboard Installation Process: What To Expect
When hiring professional electricians for a switchboard installation or upgrade project, homeowners should be aware of the key steps involved in the process. While every installation may vary depending on the property’s specific requirements, certain essential elements are common to most projects:
1. Assessment And Planning. The first step in the domestic switchboard installation process is a thorough assessment of your home’s electrical system by a qualified electrician. During this assessment, the electrician will evaluate the condition of your existing switchboard, identify any safety concerns or deficiencies and determine the appropriate size and configuration for the new switchboard.
2. Design And Selection. Based on the assessment findings, the electrician will design a switchboard layout that meets your household’s needs and complies with regulatory requirements. This will involve selecting the location of the switchboard, the type and size of switchboard required, determining the number of circuits required and choosing the appropriate safety devices so that the installation complies with all regulatory requirements.
3. Installation And Wiring. Once the design is finalised, the electrician will proceed with the installation of the new switchboard. This typically involves removing the old switchboard, disconnecting existing wiring and starting the domestic switchboard installation. The electrician will then wire the switchboard to the main power supply and complete any other necessary tasks.
4. Testing And Certification. Following installation, the electrician will conduct comprehensive testing to ensure the switchboard functions correctly and meets safety standards. This will include testing individual circuits, verifying the operation of safety devices and performing insulation resistance tests. If the main incoming supply and/or earthing system has been altered or upgraded, a third party registered electrical inspector will be required to complete an inspection of your new switchboard. Once testing and inspection is complete and the switchboard is deemed safe and compliant, the process will be complete.
Choosing A Qualified Electrician – Tips For Auckland Homeowners
Selecting the right electrician for your switchboard installation is crucial to the safety and success of the project. Naturally, the success of your domestic switchboard installation project is highly dependent on the electrician you choose.
Here are some essential tips to consider when hiring a qualified professional:
- Licensing And Certification. Verify that the electrician holds a current New Zealand Electrical Practising Licence and is registered with the Electrical Workers Registration Board. A licensed electrician has undergone rigorous training and has the expertise to perform switchboard installations safely and effectively.
- Experience And Expertise. Choose an Auckland electrician with extensive experience in domestic switchboard installation and upgrades. A skilled electrician will have the knowledge and skills to accurately assess your home’s electrical system and recommend the most suitable solutions.
- Reputation And References. Research the electrician’s reputation in the community and seek recommendations from friends, family or online reviews. To do this, consider searching for their company name on Google and having a look at their Google Business Profile. There, you can view their star rating and user reviews. You could also check their website for any reviews and testimonials they have displayed.
Finding The Right Domestic Switchboard Specialists For Your Auckland Home
Investing in a safe and compliant switchboard installation is essential for protecting your family and home from electrical hazards. Rely on our team at BPM Electrical if you’re searching for professional electricians in Auckland. Along with switchboard installation and upgrades, we’re also happy to help with electrical home safety inspections, LED lighting, EV charging and much more.
Would you like to speak to our team? Please feel free to call us on 0800 443 599, we’d be happy to chat with you.
Trust in quality, efficient work and excellent results – trust in BPM Electrical.